Today I am going to teach you on how to move your blog contents, SEO, social statistics and also your rankings in search engines from blogger to WordPress. The first thing we need to do is to stop search engines from indexing our blogger blog, you can do that by;
- Login to your blogger dashboard, scroll down, click on settings > basic > Privacy.
- Let search engines find your blog, select no and click on save changes
Below are five (5) steps we need to follow in other to move your blog from blogger to WordPress.
- Create a WordPress blog.
- Back up your blogger blog.
- Import blogger posts.
- Change WordPress blog permalinks.
- Re-direct blogger blog.
Create a WordPress blog
First of all, we need to create a WordPress blog where all migration will take place. I have written an article on how to create a paid WordPress blog with Hostgator, I recommend that you take a look at that article before you proceed with the migration of your blog and also if you are using a custom domain on blogger, you will need to revert back to http://www.yourwebsitename.blogspot.com format, from successful migration of your blog.
Back up your blogger blog
After creating your WordPress blog, there are some essential things we need to do on our blogger before migration to WordPress takes place.
- Back up your classic template.
- Back up your blogger template.
- Back up your blogger blog (optional).
How to backup you classics template
- Login to your blogger dashboard and scroll down and click on “themes”.
- Scroll down and click on the theme.
- Scroll down and click on revert to classic themes.
- Click on revert to the classic theme.
- Copy the edit theme HTML codes into your notepad and save it inside your computer.
How to back up blogger templates
- Login to your blogger dashboard and scroll down and click on themes.
- Scroll down and click on the theme.
- Click on backup and restore, at the top right side of your screen.
- A small box will pop up and then click download.
How back up your blogger blog
- Login to your blogger dashboard.
- Scroll down and click on settings and then click on other.
- Click on back up content.
Import blogger blog post
- Login to your WordPress dashboard. www.yourwebsitename.com/wp-admin, login to your dashboard, scroll down to Tool, click on it and click on import.
- Click on blogger, click on Install now and then click on activate plugin & run importers
- Here you will need to authorize WordPress to access your blogger blog, click on authorize
- Click on Allow access and then you will be re – directed back to your WordPress dashboard.
- Here you will see the list of blogs you have created on the google account you allowed WordPress access. At the right-hand side of each blog listed, click Import and then wait for it to import. It might take a lot of time if you have so many posts on your blogger blog.
- After import, you blog contents from blogger, click on set authors and set the author mapping and then click on save changes.
After that, we need to insert www in our WordPress URL. You can do that by;
- Login to WordPress dashboard, Scroll down to setting and click on General
- Change the WordPress address URL and site address URL to http://www.yourwebsitename.com that you will be adding www before your website name and then log in to your WordPress dashboard.
Change WordPress permalinks
If you look at your blogger and WordPress post URL, you will discover that the blogger URL and with .hmtl why WordPress doesn’t have it and also their date is different, we need to make them look alike before migration can take place.
- On your WordPress dashboard, Scroll down to setting and click on “permalinks”
- Select custom structure insert /%year%/%monthnum%/%postname%.html in the box provided and then click on save changes.
If you review the WordPress and blogger post URL again,
you will notice that they are not the same, you can also do yourself good by making them exactly the same when having a long title, WordPress inserts few words from the post title why blogger don’t, if you want to make them exactly the same, you can click this link to download a plugin called maintain blogger permalinks” created by justinsomnia.
After downloading the plugin can install the plugin by;
- On your WordPress dashboard, scroll down to plugins, click on add new and then click on upload plugins. Here you will need to upload the plugin you just downloaded (maintain blogger permalinks), click on Install now and then activate the plugin.
Re – direct blogger blog
This is the last step in migrating your blog from blogger to WordPress, this step allows you to re – direct all your visitor that visit your blogger blog website address to your new WordPress blog. To do that simply,
- Go to your WordPress dashboard, scroll down to plugins.
- Click on “add new” and then search for blogger 301 re – direct, click on install and then activate it.
Before re – direction can take place, you will need to change your Time zone, you can do that by going to Settings > General > scroll down time zone and also set you data format, time format click on save changes
- On your WordPress dashboard, scroll down to settings and then click on blogger 301 -redirect.
- Check the second to the fifth box provided, click on save changes and then scroll down.
- There are two methods to use, I recommend you use method 2, copy the code provided
Login to your blogger dashboard
- Scroll down and click on themes, then scroll down to the bottom of the page, click on Revert to classics template and select OK to revert to classic template.
- Replace the code of your blogger template with the code you copied on WordPress
- And finally, click save the template.
Test your blog by trying to go to your blogger URL, it will automatically re – direct you to your new blog on WordPress.
If you find this article helpful to you kindly share this post with the social share button below and also, if there is anything you don’t understand in the article above, if you are finding it difficult to move your blog from WordPress to blogger simply, share it in the comment section below and I will reply you as fast as possible.