How to install the Microsoft Compatibility Pack. Since Microsoft has added the new Office Open XML formats to the earlier 2007 and 2010 Microsoft Office programs, users are facing the issue in the opening and then saving files with this format.
The prime job of this compatibility pack is to allow a user open, edit and save the Office files using the file formats in newer versions of Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. The pack can be installed on a computer system that is running Microsoft Office XP programs, Microsoft Office 2000 programs and Microsoft Office 2003 programs, respectively.
Before you download and install the same for Office XP or 2003, make sure the installed version of Office as well as your Windows operating system is up to date. To check and update, follow these steps:
Windows 7 or Vista
- Follow the path
Start -> All Programs -> Windows Update
- Microsoft update will ensure that your operating system and other programs are up to date. If not, you will be prompted to install the updates.
- Click Install
- Provide the admin password, if asked
- Open the URL for Microsoft update.
- Click Express to allow Microsoft to update check whether your system is up to date or not.
- If it is not updated, you will be asked for the same; click Install.
- Once the update completes, follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Download the Microsoft Compatibility Pack
- Open the link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=941b3470-3ae9-4aee-8f43-c6bb74cd1466
- On the web page, you will see a button labelled as “Download”
Installing the Microsoft Compatibility Pack,
- Click Run on the downloaded setup
- Enter the administrator password, if asked
- Accept “Microsoft Software License Terms” and click Continue
- Click Ok and it will begin installing the compatibility pack
- Click Ok at the last step and it’s done
- Click Run twice and then accept the “Microsoft Software License Terms”
- Click Ok and the pack will be installed in few minutes
- Click OK after the processing completes
After the complete installation of Microsoft Compatibility Pack, you can open the files in the latest versions of Microsoft Office PowerPoint, Word and Excel. If you stuck somewhere between these processes free Articles, contact Microsoft Office customer support team and get an instant solution.