Change Default Password
Some Website host might suggest to you a password for your WordPress website during installation of WordPress on your domain, this password might not be easy for you to remember always and also you need to change it for security reasons. Below are the steps on how to change your default WordPress password.
- Login to your WordPress admin dashboard with your username and also the password provided to you by your website host.
- Scroll down USERS and click it.
- In this field, you will see your username (The name you used in installing WordPress on your domain), click on your username.
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on the button that says GENERATE PASSWORD.
- You will see a very long password that is automatically generated by WordPress for you to use. Simply highlight all of them and delete. Insert a password of your choice that you can remember always and also make sure it is a strong password.
- Click on the button UPDATE PROFILE.
WordPress default permalinks are like http://yourwebsitename.com/index.php and also if you click on the default post by WordPress which is “hello world!” its link in the URL bar on your browser will look like http://yourwebsitename.com/index.php/year/month/day/hello-world/, this is super unprofessional become no professional website links to any post or pages look like that, we need to name it to look like http://yourwebsitename.com/hello-world/. To make it look like that, you need to;
- Login to your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Scroll down to SETTINGS and then click on PERMALINKS.
You can see that it is on “custom structure” and there is a little box that after your website name, it looks like /index.php/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/.
- Highlight all of them and delete it. Insert /%postname%/ in the box.
- Click on the button SAVE CHANGES.
Installing Security Plugins
Plugins allow you to add more features to your website. Don’t be confused your WordPress website is secured if you keep all WordPress, themes, and plugins updated, you will not have any problem but there are security plugins that help in protecting your website for hackers and also spammers. The plugin names are “All in one security and firewall”, to protect your website from hackers and” Akismet”, to protect your website from spammers. To install these plugins, you need to;
- Login to your WordPress administrator dashboard.
- Scroll down to PLUGINS and click on add new.
- At the right-hand side of the page, there is a search box, search for “All in one security and firewall” and install and activate it.
I have written an article on how to set up all in one security and firewall plugin for your website; I recommend that you should read that article and also you should use the same step you used in installing all in one security and firewall to install Akismet plugin, by searching for the name and then click install and activate.
If this article has impacted knowledge to you about protecting your website and also making your website links look professional kindly share this post with the share buttons below to any social media of your choice and also if there is anything you don’t understand in this article and you need clear explanation, simply share it in the comment section below.